Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Nadia's Modesty Walk

One of my goals with this blog is to enable my readers to read stories about other ladies and how they stay modest and their tips! In an effort to show the world that there are plenty of young girls out there who desire to live in Modesty, I want this blog to not only reflect my modesty walk but that of others. With that said, today, the beautiful Nadia H. will share with us her Modesty Walk. It’s a great Read, enjoy.


  "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight." - 1 Peter 3:3, 4

Sitting here reflecting on where I was and where I am today, I am truly thankful. Thankful for God’s mercy and grace without which I would not be alive. I am not perfect, not even close, but God is working on me .He has done so much for me so the least I can do is live to please him in words, actions, thoughts and MODESTY!!

Yes that’s right; by dressing modestly I know I am pleasing my father. I want to reflect him in everything I do, want people to see Christ when they look at me, want them to see something different from what they are used to seeing in the world. Modesty to me means being pure, unique, conservative, humble, holy and separated from the world. Our bodies are the temples of God so we should dress it as such.

No it wasn’t always easy being “separated”. And oh boy all the questions you have to answer…”why do you dress like that? how can you be comfortable in a skirt?? And the most frequently asked question….Are you part of a cult?? “ LOL As a kid growing up in UPCI denomination, I wore nothing but long dresses and skirts. That was easy especially since I had two older sisters who I looked up to that dressed modestly and never cared what everyone else wore. They always made me feel beautiful when I lacked confidence and had my doubts about wanting to fit in, or not wanting to attend school sporting activities because I knew everyone else would be in pants and I’d be the odd one in a dress. That didn’t bother me at all.

However I think there’s a big difference with being made to or feel obligated because of your church or family to dress modestly and doing it because of your own convictions from God and that’s what I learnt in my late teenage years when the pressure to fit in was at its peak and my self-confidence was at an all time low. I admit I did drop my standards sometimes and wore what I wasn’t supposed to but I always felt convicted and somewhat ashamed to go into God’s presence. I felt a vast distance between God and I. And I think that just shows how important Modesty is. I couldn’t understand how people from different churches can wear short skirts or pants and still feel the presence of God; but I guess it all comes down to what you’re taught and your personal convictions. If the Holy Spirit truly resides in us, to lead us, it would not allow us to display your bodies and cause our brothers to lust. It gives us wisdom.

For girls who value and live by the rules of modesty; I think it is very important to find a guy who shares these same modesty values as you when looking for a husband or you will feel pressured to dress to please them and not God. That’s where being equally yoked is also extremely important. I’m thankful I found my “Pente Guy” who would encourage me and help me decide what is appropriate or modest enough. My modest rules that I try to follow includes skirts should be below my knees when sitting, sleeves must be to my elbows, no pants, no makeup, no jewelry, basically be covered up and comfortable as possible.

I encourage all my sisters who will read this and myself to always remember you are a child of the most high King, know who you are in him and don’t sell yourself short by dressing like you’re any ordinary girl out there. God bless you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...