Thursday, October 25, 2012

Modesty: More than Clothes?

So I recently bought an E-book to read on the lovely tablet I got for my B.day. Let me tell you how much I love this tablet. I’m reading so much more now!! J Anyway, back to the book. The book is called The Secret Keeper: The Delicate Power of Modesty. It’s not apostolic, so there are a few things in the book I don’t agree with, however, for the most part, so far, It has had so many great perspectives. My plan is to do a full review of the book once I’m done but while I read it, I may have a few things to say about it and for you to read. Lol…

So this morning I was reading about how modesty is not only about what you are wearing on the outside but also about the type of person you are wearing inside! Now I know that we know this, because essentially that’s what Paul was trying to say in that verse, “…let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious…” 1 Peter 3:4….We must have a modest spirit as well as a modest wardrobe. Now what do I mean but a modest spirit? Well, a spirit that is righteous, that is humble, that seeks what is good before God, and a spirit that essentially seeks for GOD to be seen in them, rather than themselves.

I wanted to share this quote from her book:


You cannot limit the power of your modesty to just what you wear. It’s also controlled or forfeited by where you are willing to go with guys, when you go there and how you act. I bet you can think of girl who’s reputation as a flirt precedes her. Perhaps, she does not dress to show off the secrets of her beauty, but the way she invades a guy’s personal space or flirts with him issues an unspoken challenge concerning her sexuality

Aint that the truth? A girl can be dress perfectly modestly but if inside of her she does not carry a modest spirit (or struggles in this area), that will go to show in her character and actions! Be careful that your actions are truly reflective of who you are trying to represent on the outside. Some things may not seem to be “bad” per say but they can certainly lead to things we would never expect if we are not careful in the way we act or where we go with men, even church men. Proverbs 14:12 -"There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death."

This book has also given me a perspective of how men view women and how modesty is so important in the way we dress and act around men. Sometimes you wouldn’t think you are even doing anything wrong, but men are a totally different make-up than women, they feel and view things differently. As Christian ladies, we must also take care to cause no one to stumble. The Lord has entrusted us with a great power and Glory as women, it's up to us to use it wisely. I will share more on that as I progress in the book.

Hope this can be a blessing, especially to the younger girls following this blog! J
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...